Our History
1870 – 1883
1869 – 1870 | Billy Campbell and Henry Burke took title to 63 acres surrounding the hot springs and built a 40′ x 60′ hotel and 5 two-room lakeshore cottages. Originally called the “Warm Springs Hotel,” Campbell erected a 20-foot-square bathhouse over the mineral spring that boiled out of a large rock at Lake Tahoe’s water’s edge.
1875 | Reverend R.A. Ricker leased the hot springs to assist guests with their spiritual counseling.
June 1883 | A.T. Bayley leased the resort from Campbell, renamed it “Carnelian Hot Sulfur Springs” and placed his son in charge.




1900 – 1920
1900 | Frank “Brockway” Alverson and his wife, Nellie Staples Dow Comstock Alverson, purchased the hotel and surrounding property for $3,500 and renamed the resort “Brockway Hot Springs.” The new slogan became, “Top of the Map, Top of the List.”
1909 | The Alversons were forced into bankruptcy and sold the hot springs to Lawrence and Comstock of Tallac for $9,000.
1917 | The Brockway Casino and Dining Room Building was constructed in 1917. The Brockway Post Office was moved west and an above lake swimming pool was planned.






1930 – 1940
1932 | The Brockway Hotel, Inc. was formed, principal stockholders were members of the Harry O. Comstock family.
1940 | Casino Dining Room


1954
March 1954 | Harry O. Comstock died after managing the Brockway Hotel for 39 years; daughter Gladys and son-in-law, Maillard “Pete” Bennett, became managers of the 85-year-old resort during the 50s and 60s.

1961 – 1966
May 18th, 1961 | The main hotel lobby overlooking the lake burned to the ground.
September 1966 | The Brockway Hotel, Inc., closed the Brockway Hot Springs Resort for the last time.



1970 – 1986
December 1970 | The remaining Brockway Casino and Dining Room Building was demolished to make way for future construction of the recreation component of the Brockway Springs Condominium Project.

